Kadhi is another of my favourite dishes to be made when I want a Typically Indian meal with steaming hot rice fluffy and begging to be eaten with a bowl of home-made kadhi with crunchy pakoras(potato and onion fritters)
Kadhi is basically a a spicy gravy made with curd and bengal gram flour and there are 2 versions , this one made in the Northern part of India called ”Punjabi Kadhi” or the Gujarati Version – where the garnishing is done using long red chillies and it is a delicacy served in most weddings – well traditionally at least, nowadays weddings have ”world cusine” another dilution of tradition … There is also another version called Sindhi Kadhi where tamarind pulp is added and so are few chopped veggies !
This is another recipe which I should have uploaded eons ago ! It was much liked when I uploaded on pic on my Facebook album ”Food and How much I love it” Humm , how much mover ”foodie” can one get , I wonder… 😉
Ok , now for the Ingredient list :
Ingredients for the Kadhi
- 2 heaped tbsp besan (Bengal gram flour)
- 1 1/2 cups curds (dahi)
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 2 curry leaves (kadi patta)2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- salt to taste
Ingredients for the pakoras/fritters
1/4 cup Chopped onion
1/4 cup Chopped potato
1 tsp Ajwain.
1 tsp Red chili powder.
salt to taste
about 2 spoons Besan (Bengal gram flour) & Water
-Mix all Chopped onion & potato in the besan and water mix , ensuring there are no lumps . Add ajwain , salt and chilli powder .
– Heat oil in a Kadhai and deep fry vegetable and gram flour mixture after making into small balls. Fry till pakoras are golden brown.
-Beat Curd/Yogurt and mix gram flour in it. Blend thoroughly so as to ensure that there are no lumps. Add turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water.
– Add the chilli-ginger paste, curry leaves, sugar and salt and put to boil.
– Boil whilst stirring for a while.
– Prepare the tempering by heating the ghee and frying the cumin and mustard seeds until they turn brown. Add the asafoetida and red chilli.
– Add the tempering to the kadhi and boil for a few minutes.
– Add the cooked pakoras
– Sprinkle coriander on top and serve hot with boiled rice .