16th, 2013, baba, better breakfast ideas, Bombay, childhood memories, children, dunk, easy recipes, father, Fathers Day, growing up, growing up happy, Happy Fathers Day, I love you daddy, India, June, kids, memories about dad, Mumbai, ready in 20 minutes, skillet, soft boiled egg and asparagus soldiers, Sunday meals, sunday mornings
As far back as I can recollect Sunday was my daddy’s fav day to cook, he is so good with food and flavours and is meticulous to the point to military precision, he always left the kitchen very clean and explained the health benefits of whatever he rustled up, which actually wasn’t necessary considering the food was so tempting always that my sister and I barely heard what he spoke while we stuffed our faces
Even now in his 70′s he is still as enthusiastic in the kitchen and now loves cooking for my sisters kids,his family favourite dishes are biryani, chicken curry and a simple dessert made with china grass.
He used this massive skillet to make biryani’s and its gathering dust now somewhere at home. Baba – as, we call him makes the best soft boiled eggs ever and the most scrumptious omelettes and runny scrambled eggs with cheese.(I want a skillet real bad now!)
Baba , I wish you were in London with us, I would love to have made this simple breakfast for you, I love you daddy.Happy Father’s day, but then you do know that you are the nucleus of my life, don’t you?
You will need:
- A tiny bunch of fresh asparagus
- 2 thin strips of bacon/prosciutto
- 2 eggs
- sea salt to season
- Boil the asparagus after you chop of the woody bit, check if they are done in about 7 minutes, drain hot water, wash in cold water for like a few secons and leave aside,covered.
- While the asparagus is boiling ,boil the eggs in another pan, do not cover and cook them for about 4-5 minutes, drain the hot water and add cold water so that you can hold the egg easily and quickly ”behead” the eggs.
- The beauty of a soft boiled egg is the runny interior which is prefect for dunking the asparagus soldiers into.
- Pan fry the bacon till it’s crunchy, you can also use fine strips of prosciutto if you like
- Wrap the crunchy bacon strips around the asparagus
- I keep some sea salt aside to add some flavour , I love eggs so I prefer them without any salt sprinkled.
Baba makes the perfect ”quarter” boiled eggs which are runny and soft and he removes a bit of the shell and pours out the egg into a tiny bowl, it goes so well with Pohe (puffed rice used to make a tasty cooked breakfast with finely chopped onion,curry leaves , lime and tiny bite sized potatoes, garnished with finely chopped coriander) … I remember sitting around this tiny table in our first house in Bombay with my sister and Baba would give us these yummy eggs for breakfast on weekends.I love going back in time and reliving those happy days of simple family togetherness.